07 August 2012

C.S.A.A.D. and I've got it bad!

Community Supported Agriculture Anxiety Disorder

 C-SAAD for short, its the term I have coined for what I suffer from every Wednesday night/Thursday morning.  It happens the minute I open my fridge and see heaps of fresh greens and vegetables peering back at me.  It happens because I know that after work on Thursday evenings I will add to those heaps!!

I only signed up for the half share thinking that I could handle it myself but what I really need is a half of a half share!  So far this year I have received Romaine lettuce, red lettuce, butter lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, beets, turnip greens, collard greens, Swiss shard, kale, corn, English peas, green beans, wax beans, radishes, leeks, daicon, spring onions, garlic, eggplant, tomatoes, eggs, fresh cream, strawberries, blueberries, herbs a plenty, 3 vegetables I have yet to be able to identify and things I am sure I have forgotten.  Needless to say I am overwhelmed and my fridge is constantly full. 



This weekend I tried to use as much as possible.  I made a salad with the various lettuces, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, peas and green beans mixed with my own garden heirloom tomatoes and snap peas and it was delish! I then used some of the zucchini and tomatoes with the onion and garlic to sauté up a great little sauce to put over angel hair pasta – oh my gosh the tomatoes were amazing! I moved on to blueberry muffins – whole wheat, yogurt blueberry muffins to be exact - and strawberry rhubarb pie (rhubarb grows wild in my backyard).  Finally I used the pickling cucumbers to try my hand at homemade pickles; I have to wait a week to see how they turned out!   

Once I hear back from my guinea pigs I may or may not be sharing my recipes! Hopefully later this week I will be posting all 4 recipes but I am always looking for more yummy ideas for my CSA treasures so if any of you out there have any ideas I’ll take them!


I'm off to cookbook stalk!
~Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment