22 July 2013

To Boston With Love

The second phase of my working through what happened in April was to bury myself in projects.  There really is something restorative about the hum of a sewing machine and the feel of fabric gliding through my fingers.  

Something I sewed displayed in a museum! Eek!
The first opportunity that came along was this amazing Flag Project put together by the incredible folks from the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild. The concept was really simple but was hugely impactful for those of us that participated. One of our local guild members was able to secure the Shapiro Family Courtyard at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston for the display. This was extra special as it was just in time for the MFA's free pass for Memorial Day weekend (free admission for anyone who showed up at the Museum = amazing). 
I jumped on the opportunity to particiapte. 

My flag.
All that was needed was a flag that measured 6x8 that conveyed a message of positivity. I followed what ended up being the most common road and chose to have a heart on my flag and I dipped in to my precious fabrics stash and used some of the Vera Bradley prints I had left over from my quilt (the top has been pieced but no other progress as of yet). I went with bright fun orange, pink, and green and I am so happy with how it turned out... I made my way over to the MFA for the free weekend with my parents (my Mom also made some flags) and was blown away by the sheer number of flags. 
I was actually able to find mine! 



                 







I was looking at the really sweet to Boston with Love chain and there it was taking up prime real estate on the end of a row!

It was so exciting to see something that I made with my own two hands hanging in a museum! I forgot my camera so my phone snaps will have to do but check it out! There were also some really great write-ups about the project in some local papers and on all kinds of blogs, give them a read if you have some time. The participation stats blew me away! 

Some were hearts, some were Boston landmarks and others were words .

It was hard to fit them all in one picture.  The colors, variety and creativity were awesome!

Not to mention a wicked cool glass sculpture!
Check out some of the write ups!

Artisania (I love her blog!)
Amy Friend's During Quiet Time
Berene Campbell's Happy Sew Lucky
And the flickr Group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/tobostonwithlove/

As always thanks for stopping by, and happy sewing!
~Leah 

No comments:

Post a Comment